Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Pretty Mask

Hey! Wake up, pick out your clothes,
And pass your day the way They want.
Pass your day, the way They say,
It’s time to put on your pretty mask.

No! Don't look at that guy, sketching in the park.
Don't you know, They consider him 'weird'?
There’s just the one way to 'happiness',
Don’t ever give up your pretty mask.


Laugh, even when it’s not funny,
Smile, even if it is too damn hard.
Blend in or They will see and attack,
Don’t ever give up your pretty mask.

It matters not what you really want,
and what you feel is not a concern.
It's what They think that really matters, 
Don’t ever give up your pretty mask.

And comes the night after the long day,
Now you may cry and wash your face.
There is no one around to see you now,
For now, you can pull off the mask.

But look, here goes the dark night,
and the sun declares it a new day.
Soon you have to go step out in the light,
Time to put on the heavy, pretty mask, again.

10 comments:

  1. Heavy dude, heavy! I love it. Though somehow it reminds me of Gaga, which can't be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work man!!.....:-)

    but do we actually wear above mentioned PRETTY MASK? atleast NOT in my case :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Everyone has a mask. but ours is not pretty. :P
    lol!
    Keep visiting.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pretty mask
    Is it coz I am scared of being judged?? rejected??
    Am I not comfortable in my own skin??
    Or coz I am afraid of letting down the society??
    Why do I scythe myself to be someone I am not??
    Should I try to be perfect by losing myself??
    Can I be impervious and go against??
    Or succumb to the pressure and
    be an expatriate of my own soul??
    Fake smiles, fake warmth, fake happiness, fake relations
    And make MYSELF fake too??


    Nice poem Abhijit!! You have given considerable thought to the poem..I think though we might not want to wear the pretty mask for the society..we do so when it is demanded by people near and dear to us, like our parents..and what the society thinks is very imp to them!! :/
    Waiting for your next..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if, one night, you leave the mask on? & what if, thenceforth, it refuses to come off?
    I'd have liked it more spooky that way. =P
    but,
    honestly,
    WOW man =D
    made me sit back and think =)
    Well done, Abhijit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Shivani:
    Point to be noted. Thanks. :)
    @Harshika:
    Harshi.. although i love every word of your comment.. the one i specifically adore is.. "Thenceforth". lololol!
    Anyway, seriously, thanks. ^_^

    ReplyDelete