Saturday, August 20, 2011

Reblogged: Letters between lovers (The things we leave unsaid)

Source: www.dailylove.net/2010/06/62310.html

Letters Between Lovers
(The Things We Leave Unsaid)

By Ashley Shaw

Danny,
It is sunny here,
But not as warm as expected.
Dusty yellow rays bounce off
The shiny red paint
On my car,
But I still shiver.
I never realized how
Cold it could be
In Florida
-Leslie

Leslie,
I, too, am cold.
But for a different reason.
I miss you.
I wish you would come home.
I can still hear your tentative footsteps
Walking through our bedroom.
It still smells like gardenia,
Even though all of the flowers
Have died.
It is brisk here.
Love,
-Danny

Danny,
Yes, I am aware of your brisk temperatures.
Like the cold tone of your letter.
I made it to the beach today
And let my toes drift lazily
Against the water's edge.
I wore my black bikini.
The one we picked out together
In one of those little stores on the
Jersey boardwalk.
I caught men staring at my
Rounded bottom.
I don't know why I'm telling you this.
I chased the seagulls
Into the foaming surf.
It's so beautiful here.
But I still long for home.
I hope you are keeping occupied.
-Leslie

Leslie,
I am keeping busy.
To distract myself from
Thoughts of your hair
And toes and skin and shoulders
And scent.
I feel your ghost in each
Breath I take, and
I keep thinking I see you
Out of the corner of my eye,
Your lips stretched into a smile.
It was so rare to see you smile
During the past few months.
I wish you were here.
Yes, I'm very busy.
-Danny

Danny,
I'm having my lawyer send up the papers.
Please sign them at your earliest convenience.
Why couldn't you just talk to me?
We could have resolved this.
I'm sorry it worked out this way.
Why didn't you just
Love me?
-Leslie

Leslie,
The papers are signed.
I'm sorry.
I wish I could have fixed this,
But I know
I could never be what you need.
I wish I could tell you
How much I love you,
How much I long for you,
How late I stay awake each night
Just thinking of your eyes,
But some things are
Better left
Unsaid.
-Danny


- - -I am a twenty-one year old student at Arcadia University. I have many strange phobias (including peanut-butter), but writing is not one of them. So this is one of my first attempts to get my work published. Thank you for any and all consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment