Thursday, March 4, 2010

Expectations

I have been wanting to post something since my first post on this blog but the Board Egg-Jams have jammed my egg of a brain and also constrained my hours at the computer. I had written a post about my views on "Human Nature". But I decided that it is too vast a topic to be covered in one post. So I decided to break it down in pieces and write about whatever I am thinking about. And human nature is mostly what I think about.




So I am just through with my Physics exam yesterday and it didn't go as well as I wanted it too. I want to score just above 80% in 12th. Many people would say "That's too much. All I want to do is PASS". But guys, it's all about expectations.

As Chetan Bhagat pointed out in his best selling novel Five-point Someone, "It's amazing how content you can be when you have no expectations". I don't remember the exact line but it was something close. I had a friend in 10th who said "My dad's going to get me a laptop if I scored more than 80%". His dad probably promised him that because he got marks in 50s out of 100 and even failed sometimes. I myself scored 85.8%. All I got from my family was sarcasm.

People begin to expect things from you by the things you do. Everybody would be astonished to see a topper fail. Since he is usually the topper, it is naturally expected that he will top again.That's why, sometimes it gets difficult to live upto expectations. The greater they are, the tougher it is. And it is our tendency to try to live up to it.

Every famous band has to carefully select songs from hundreds they have recorded so that they live up to the expectations to their fans. Celebrities have to watch their weight, behavior, work and so much more I am sure. Nobody would like to disappoint his well wishers. And this is one more thing that complicates life. Expectations.

4 comments:

  1. Expectations are of two types, one that the world expects of you and the other is the one you expect from the world. It is not good to put the complete blame on the world, since you expect the world to love you and satisfy your ego (normal ego, not in a derogatory sense), you try to live up to these expectations. If you are ready to give up the expectations you have from the world, then the life will not be so complicated. In fact, this is one of the basic themes in any philosophical school that aims at self-contentedness

    ReplyDelete